12/24/2014

MY CHRISTMAS MIRACLE

MY CHRISTMAS MIRACLE
I pulled out a halo and a set of wings from our dress-up box on Christmas Eve and handed them to my son-in-law Dallan. While he dressed his fragile son for his part in our annual family Christmas Eve pageant, I helped Mary, Joseph, several shepherds and three wise men find bathroom towels and turbans.
When everyone was ready and waiting in the kitchen for their entrance, I opened the Bible and began reading the nativity story. Joseph and Mary entered on cue and soon the shepherds found their way into the living room with staffs in hand.
When the moment arrived for my grandson to recite his part in the nativity play, Dallan stood. He thrust Caleb high in the air, inches from the ceiling. We all looked up and waited for Caleb’s angelic lines.
What happened next is impossible to describe. A low rich male voice recited the familiar words from the Bible. Though my physical brain told me I was hearing Dallan’s voice, my spirit told me Caleb was speaking. I glanced up in silence.
"Fear not; for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord,"
I gasped.
Because he was missing his brain, Caleb had never been able to speak a word to any of us . . . but somehow that night, through his father, Caleb spoke to me that Christmas Eve. And may he speak to you . . .
"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."