12/31/2010

An Angel Among Us

Something happened that truly took my breath away this Christmas season.  Ever since my children were little we have acted out the Nativity story on Christmas Eve.  As our children have grown older, married and had children of their own we've always had a new baby to play the part of baby Jesus and our cast of characters is now filled with our children and grandchildren.  This year I pulled out two halos and sets of wings from our dress-up box and handed them to my son-in-law Dallan and my grandson Caleb.  Next I helped Mary, Joseph and all the shepards and wisemen to put on their robes.  Then I began reading the story from the Bible.  Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus entered on cue and soon the shephards made their appearance.  When it came time for the angels to say their part my son in law Dallan held Caleb high up in the air and spoke these words in a full deep rich male voice . . . "Fear not; for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which shall be to all people.  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord." 
The voice appeared to be coming from my grandson's mouth and we all caught our breath and looked up at him.  You see Caleb was born without a brain and has not been able to speak a word to us in the six years we have been blessed to have him with us.  Even though Caleb is not able to use his body like we can, we KNOW that the spirit inside his body is well and whole.  We KNOW that he is a beloved son of God . . . a true angel among us. 

"And suddenly there was with the angel a  multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." 

No comments: