11/11/2009

Sophia and the Diamond Bracelet



Once upon a time there was a little girl named Sophia who loved everything sparkly. One day Sophia and her mother were walking through a fancy department store. There in a clear glass case, Sophia spied a sparkly bracelet.
“Oh, Mommy, can I have that?” Sophia asked.
“No honey. That is a diamond bracelet. Only rich people can buy that.”
“What’s rich mean?” Sophia asked.
“That means people with lots of money.”
“We have money.”
“Not enough for a diamond bracelet.”
“I wish we were rich,” Sophia said.
That night Sophia took a bath, brushed her teeth and climbed into bed.
When her mother tucked her in, she stroked her forehead and sang Sophia’s favorite song. . .
On the wings of angels God sent you to me
Close your eyes little one - I’ll watch over thee
Sleep tight my precious child, sleep little lamb
Mommy’s always here for you wherever I am
The angels in heaven watch over thy head
Till night time is over – light covers thy head

That night Sophia had a bad dream. Trembling, she slipped from her blankets and tip-toed into her mother’s bedroom.
“Mommy,” Sophia said, “I had a scary dream.”
“I know just what to do,” her mother said. “First we need a soft blanket and Grandma’s rocking chair.”
Sophia took her mother’s warm hand as they walked into the front room.
“Wait, just one minute,” Sophia’s mother said as she opened the front door and moved the rocking chair out onto the front porch.
Sophia was puzzled. Her mother had never moved their rocking chair outside.
“Sophia,” her mother whispered as she grabbed a blanket. “Are you ready?”
Sophia nodded unsure what was going to happen next. Her mother wrapped Sophia up tight in a soft blanket like a cocoon with only her face peeking out. Then she carried her outside into the dark night. They both snuggled deep into the rocking chair. Then Sophia’s mother rocked her back and forth, back and forth. Before long Sophia stopped trembling. She felt cozy. Each time they rocked back and forth Sophia could hear Grandma’s rocking chair creek. Back and forth, back and forth they rocked together until Sophia’s breathing slowed and every part of her body felt warm.
“Do you know why Grandma’s rocking chair is special?” her mother asked.
“Why?” Sophia asked.
“Once when I was a little girl I had the croup and I couldn't breathe. My mommy bundled me up until only my face was peeking out and then she brought me outside and held me close in this rocking chair. She rocked me back and forth, back and forth until I could breathe better.”
“Were you scared?” Sophia asked.
“Yes, I was scared,” Sophia’s mother answered. “My mother said the cold air helped me breathe better. But I knew it was my mommy and the stars.”
“Stars?” Sophia asked.
“While she rocked me, my mommy told me to look up. I saw thousands of sparkly lights in the black sky. She told me those lights were angels watching over little children. She told me God lets mothers who love their children watch over them always even when they live far apart. Those stars are mother’s eyes winking at their children just to let them know they’ll always be there and they’ll always love them.”
Sophia looked up into the black sky and saw countless twinkling lights.
“They look like diamonds,” Sophia said.
Sophia’s mother smiled as a happy idea came into her heart. Then she winked at her little daughter and sang her favorite song again as they rocked back and forth.
And as she sang, Sophia watched the sky and all the mothers winking at their children. Sophia fell asleep listening to her mother whisper, “I love you Sophia. I’ll love you forever.”
The next thing Sophia remembered was waking up in her own bed. She ran quickly to the front room looking for her mother. The first thing she saw was Grandma’s rocking chair. Then Sophia saw something sparkling in the early morning light. She rubbed her eyes and looked again. There on the seat of the rocking chair was a bracelet filled with tiny clear gems winking at her.
“Are they really diamonds?” Sophia asked as she placed the bracelet on her wrist.
“Close enough,” her mother answered.
“We’re rich,” Sophia said whirling in the circle.
“Yes,” her mother answered. “So very, very rich.”

3 comments:

April said...

Oh what a beautiful story....

arianne said...

I can't tell you how magical this was. We enjoyed it so much and have read it several times already. Thanks for making it special.

Aubrey Baadsgaard Poffenberger said...

Wonderful story, mom. You are amazing. Now send off a book manuscript to a national publisher!